Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Crocheting for charity

Last year I crocheted for two charities. It was my first time participating in such a way. I felt good, knowing that things I created with my two hands and one brain would be appreciated and welcomed by someone somewhere on the planet. 

The two charities I crocheted for were Save the Children and the Special Olympics. I sent in 13 tiny little baby hats for Save the Children's "Knit One, Save One" campaign. Nine (crocheted) hats were mine and 4 (knitted) came from a member of a needlework group I belong to. The 2009 Winter Special Olympics received 4 scarves from me, mailed this year but at least two were started last year. I have photos somewhere... I'll post here when I find them. 

Someone once said that helping others is good for the soul. Who ever they are, they were right. I might never know what baby will wear one of my hats but somehow, our lives will always be bonded. And I might not ever know the athlete who will wear one of the scarves I crocheted but I hope he or she will love it as soon as s/he lays eyes on it, and feel like it was made especially for him or her. My heart is full and I was thankful for the opportunities to help. 

I look forward to doing more crocheting for charity in 2009. 

Amen.

No comments: